forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: i18n errors, bad downgrading
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:01:20 GMT
Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm testing the i18n features of Forrest, and there are a couple of
> things that does not work for me. First, the setup:
>
> - (almost) latest CVS (from a couple of days before the shift to svn)
> - running the sample site on default localhost:8888, with minimal
>     modifications to test i18n and l10n:
>     - added tabs_no.xml to translations/
>     - added index_no.xml to content/xdocs/
> - MacOS 10.3.2
> - Java 1.4.2_03
> - browser: Safari
> - language preferences: no, sv, da, is, fi, se, en_GB, en (from
> highest to lowest priority)
>
> The problems:
>
> - the menu and tabs are not translated when opening
> localhost:8888/index.html, only the body
>     => Expected: the whole page to be served in the 'no' locale (as
> all prerequisites are there: menu, tabs, and page)
>
> - Page not found when opening samples/index.html, complaining that
> content/xdocs/samples/index_no.xml does not exist (which is true)
>     => Expected: to be served the default page (index.xml ->
> index.html), according to the standard (as I have understood cocoon)
> downgrading scheme:
>
> doc_{lang}{country}{encoding}{variant}.xml
> doc_{lang}{country}{encoding}.xml
> doc_{lang}{country}.xml
> doc_{lang}.xml
> doc.xml
>
> - the CLI complained and finally FAILED due to missing _no documents -
> adding xdocs/index_no.xml seemed to indicate to the CLI that ALL files
> should also exist in _no variants. That assumption does not hold, and
> will never hold for my site.
>     => Expected: the CLI should generate whatever is given to it - if
> one file has five language variants, another three, and still another
> only one, it should generate exactly that site. It has to be up to the
> content negotiation to pick the _best_ one, given the users priorities.

I have been planning something like this within the CLI for some time,
and it is my next project after completing the migration of the Cocoon
Wiki to Apache's wikifarm.

I will make it possible within the CLI to specify a number of locales,
and the CLI will then generate every page in each of the specified
locales. The locale will be passed to Cocoon in the same way as a
browser would.

It sounds like you know what you're talking about in relation to i18n. I
haven't a clue, so I'm more than happy to be guided by you in this regard.

I can explain more of what I plan if you're interested.

Upayavira