forrest-dev mailing list archives

From <che...@che-che.com>
Subject Re: Q: Further i18n and ISO 639-2 support
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:13:18 GMT
Sjur,

> 1) I have read the archives and the discussion on #FOR-18, and
> understand that menus and tabs can now be i18n-ed. What is still not
> clear is how to serve different content (ie language versions):
I have just update the CVS to have i18n support for a single language
file i.e index_es.xml and index_en.xml

> Can/should I use the Cocoon i18n features without any further ado, or
> is there more to do for Forrest?

I am not sure about this question. Up to now. "forrest run" supports
some i18n, but I think that needs more work, like default language setting.

> 2) One thing is still missing: a div with language selections for the
> user. Selecting a language should set a session language and/or cookie,
> thus overriding any browser/httpd negotiation selection. As is
> mentioned in the #FOR-18 discussion, this is needed for users that does
> not know how to set browser languages (or in cases where it is not
> possible to set the wanted language), or when using a "foreign"
> computer at a cafe or similar. This div should be on/off by a
> forrest/site setting, thus available for users needing it.

Agree. If you feel strong enough, give it a try.

> 3) all examples I have seen, and all documentation refers to ISO 639-1
> codes (two letters) only. The site I am developing will serve several
> languages that do not have two-letter codes, only three-letter ISO
> 639-2 codes. Will such codes be handled equally well, or will the
> additional letter brake any Forrest/Cocoon/Java/httpd code?

It works fine. I have just try. If your setting language is esp then It
looks for index_esp.xml menu_esp.xml and tabs_esp.xml

Cheers,
Cheche