forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: About SVN
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:46:41 GMT

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 09:33 pm, David Crossley wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> > > I have noticed on the Svn server that we have a few braches
> > > (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xml/forrest/branches/). Is there a
> > > real need for that?
> > >
> > > can we remove:
> > >
> > > # FORRESTON_BRANCH/
> > > # LINKMAP_BRANCH/
> > > # PDF_IMAGE_BRANCH/
> > > # apache/
> > > # unlabeled-1.1.2/
> > > # with_pdf_images/
> > >
> > > Same applies for the tags, is there a need to keep this:
> > > # before_cocoon_upgrade-20030311/
> > > # before_cocoon_upgrade-20030524/
> > > # before_cocoon_upgrade-20030622/
> > > # before_libre_departure/
> > > # before_rawhtml/
> > > # libre_start/
> > > # stable/
> > > # stable-20030616/
> > > # stable-20030620/
> > > # stable-20030625/
> > > # stable-20030626/
> > > # stable-20030721/
> > > # v10/
> > > # with_file_scheme/
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Cheche
> >
> > Version control is all about history.  While it does seem quite unlikely
> > that these tags and branches would ever be referenced in the future, it
> > doesn't hurt to keep them.  And since the repository keeps a history of
> > everything, our lists of tags and branches won't be very clean (meaning:
> > old and unused ones will still be there) but that's ok.  If we start
> > removing stuff from the repository, it loses it's integrity.
>
> Oh sorry, i had not read this earlier message from Dave before
> my other reply.
>
> I would rather that we have a clean SVN without the unnecessary
> Branches and Tags because it will confuse users. However if that
> puts the history at risk then i say keep them all.
>
> Is it possible to have a STATUS file or README or something at
> the top-level (/repos/asf/xml/forrest/README) to explain the
> strange Branches and Tags?
>
> By the way, it is interesting to look at the todo.xml in the
> first Branch which i presume is the one called "apache".
>
> --David

I think we could create subfolders like this:
/repos/asf/xml/forrest/
	tags/
		old-tags/
			before_cocoon_upgrade-20030311
			before_cocoon_upgrade-20030524
		FORREST_051
		FORREST_05
		FORREST_04
	branches/
		old-branches/

This would keep it simple without losing any history.  I will test this in a
local repository unless somebody already knows that it will work.

- --
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net