forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About SVN
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:33:39 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> > I have noticed on the Svn server that we have a few braches
> > (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xml/forrest/branches/). Is there a real
> > need for that?
> >
> > can we remove:
> >
> > # FORRESTON_BRANCH/
> > # LINKMAP_BRANCH/
> > # PDF_IMAGE_BRANCH/
> > # apache/
> > # unlabeled-1.1.2/
> > # with_pdf_images/
> >
> > Same applies for the tags, is there a need to keep this:
> > # before_cocoon_upgrade-20030311/
> > # before_cocoon_upgrade-20030524/
> > # before_cocoon_upgrade-20030622/
> > # before_libre_departure/
> > # before_rawhtml/
> > # libre_start/
> > # stable/
> > # stable-20030616/
> > # stable-20030620/
> > # stable-20030625/
> > # stable-20030626/
> > # stable-20030721/
> > # v10/
> > # with_file_scheme/
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Cheche
>
> Version control is all about history.  While it does seem quite unlikely that
> these tags and branches would ever be referenced in the future, it doesn't
> hurt to keep them.  And since the repository keeps a history of everything,
> our lists of tags and branches won't be very clean (meaning: old and unused
> ones will still be there) but that's ok.  If we start removing stuff from the
> repository, it loses it's integrity.

Oh sorry, i had not read this earlier message from Dave before
my other reply.

I would rather that we have a clean SVN without the unnecessary
Branches and Tags because it will confuse users. However if that
puts the history at risk then i say keep them all.

Is it possible to have a STATUS file or README or something at
the top-level (/repos/asf/xml/forrest/README) to explain the
strange Branches and Tags?

By the way, it is interesting to look at the todo.xml in the
first Branch which i presume is the one called "apache".

--David