forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: skinconf validation
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:46:14 GMT
Quoting Juan Jose Pablos <cheche@che-che.com>:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> >
> > If I can get the <xmlproperty> task to work with an <xmlcatalog>, I'm
> planning
> > on removing the relaxng validation (no advantages) and use just an external
> DTD.
> >

> hold on here. I thought that relaxng is a requierement for the use of
> xhtml as intermediate format.
>
> If we only use the jing task to validate, why do we need all DTD
> information?

<snip src="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/">
This version includes an early implementation of XHTML 2.0 in RELAX NG
[RELAXNG], but does not include the implementations in DTD or XML Schema form.
Those will be included in subsequent versions, once the content of this language
stabilizes.
</snip>

DTDs are needed because DOCTYPE identifiers reference DTDs (not relaxng or
schema).  DTDs are also the lowest common denominator and often the only
validation supported by editors.  Apparently relaxng authors don't like the idea
of a DOCTYPE identifier at all.
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=forrest-dev@xml.apache.org&msgId=1372452

However the current issue is for skinconf, not source documents.  So we can use
just a DTD for the skinconf and then use relaxng for xhtml2 when we move to it.

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net