forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Justus.Pia...@ULg.ac.be (Justus H. Piater)
Subject Re: adding dynamic content (e.g. JSP, TagLibs, etc.) to Forrest
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:20:29 GMT
Arnaud SAHUGUET <sahuguet@lucent.com> wrote on Mon, 16 Feb 2004
12:59:25 -0500:

> I am using Forrest for a CS research web site.

We are currently looking into the same thing.

> Forrest is great for static content, but for things like publications
> (for people, for projects), I would like to have a central XML files
> describing all the publications and insert in people's and project's
> pages a call to generate the right set of publications.
> What are my options with Forrest to do that?
> - XSP
> - processing instructions
> - other

You'll have to use some of the deeper functionality of Cocoon to do
that (but that should be no problem, Forrest should work with the full
Cocoon; if it doesn't, complain...).

Publication lists are a prime application for databases. We're going
to use RefDB (http://refdb.sourceforge.net/), which can produce output
in XML format. I hacked up a RefDBGenerator for Cocoon that returns a
publication list in XML format, given a URL that contains a RefDB
query string. (This can probably be done more elegantly using a
RequestGenerator and a RefDBTransformer, to be written.) The pub list
is then integrated into the output using an XIncludeTransformer, and a
custom XSLT style sheet converts RefDB's XML to HTML.

If you don't want to use a database, you can probably put all publis
into one large XML file, and have a Generator or a Transformer
generate XPath expressions to select the desired publications. I
suspect, though, that this will be harder to maintain and that it will
put a noticeable load on your server if you serve the pages
dynamically.

Keep me posted, perhaps we can share some effort...

Justus

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279