forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Move to SVN?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:14:17 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>>How do others feel about moving our CVS to SVN? I've been
>>using it with Depot and it's quite nice :-)
>
> Someone would need to provide some documentation to assist
> both committers and users. We have various FAQs and tips
> for using CVS as a user, and we have this for committers:
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/community/howto/cvs-ssh/howto-cvs-ssh.html
> as well as various stuff at http://www.apache.org/dev/
> but there are no tips about SVN at Apache.

The svn commands are very very similar, if not identical, to the CVS
ones, so it should not be hard to accomodate the docs to them... apart
from the important fact that someone has to actually do it, of course ;-)

> The Apache infrastructure@ list says that there is a "test"
> repository that we can use. We should try a cvs2svn there first.

cvs2svn is not ready for prime time AFAIK, so if we go now we should
IMHO just import HEAD.

> Is there an equivalent to ViewCVS for browsing older versions?

Yes, it has been already adapted.

> The http://cvs.apache.org/ reports a quite old Subversion server.
> Surely it would be better to wait until release of 1.0 (which
> is due on 2004-02-23) and an Apache upgrade.

Cool, then we'll wait for that, I didn't know it was slated for so soon :-)

> I think that all committers would need to use a recent Subversion
> client. For example my RedHat has ancient subversion-0.17, so i am
> now upgrading it to be ready for our test.

:-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -