forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: multiple skin descriptors, skin versions
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:58:33 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:
>

>>Marshall Roch wrote:
>>
>>>3) Skin version based on Forrest version and revision of skin
>
>>Ok, so I guess we all agree now on 3) as proposed by Dave. :-)
>>
>>I'll see how we can get round to using Ruper and Version for this.
>

> I've got something almost working,

:-)

> but there's a technical difficulty in knowing
> what files to try to download.  Basically forrest needs to know all possible
> forrest version numbers and all possible skin version numbers.  E.G: try
> downloading:
>
> myskin-f0.6-dev-0.3.zip (not found so we try next)
> myskin-f0.6-dev-0.2.1.zip (not found so we try next)
> myskin-f0.6-dev-0.2.zip (not found so we try next)
> myskin-f0.6-dev-0.1.zip (not found so we try next)
> myskin-f0.6-dev.zip (not found so we try next)
> myskin-f0.5-0.3.zip (found!)
>
> I can easily put a prior-versions variable in forrest which we can use.  But
> forrest still doesn't know what version numbers to try when downloading a
> specific skin.  In the example above, it would have to know to start at 0.3 and
> also that there was a 0.2.1 release.  We could put prior-versions elements in
> the skins descriptor, but that's kinda ugly.  Another option, but with many
> potential problems, would be to try to get a list of files from the web server.
>
> Perhaps Ruper would be a better solution.  How would it handle a situation like
> this?  Does the repository publish a list of available files?

http://krysalis.org/wiki/Ruper :
"
How is the selection of last version done ?

The default ?VersionComparator? sorts version in the order of : major,
minor, fixe, modifierCode, modifierNumber, build But update is done only
if the new version is compatible. The rule is :

     * version_tested and version_orig have same modifierCode, or are
from the same side of the modifierCodeFrontier? (default is RELEASE).
     * version_orig.Major is 0 or version_tested have same Major as
version_orig.
"

AFAIK we need just to make our VersionComparator class and Ruper should
take care of the rest.

Just some extra insight on Ruper2:

Multiple Repos:
http://www.krysalis.org/ruper/config/index.html