forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Forrest adopting Alexandria?
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:48:20 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>:
>

>>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>>I think that moving it in Forrest would be beneficial both to the
>>>Alexandria code, and to Forrest.
>>
>>+0
>>
>>My only concern is that this is pretty specific functionality of use to
>>only a certain type of site, i.e. project sites. I have no problem with
>>the functionality being there, it's just I don;t need it right now.
>
> -1
>
> This sounds too much like maven.  http://maven.apache.org/  Maven is a build
> tool that "throws in a website for free".  Included in the website are many
> project reports.

Alexandria/forrestcode does not generate reports, and it will not be
integrated in Forrest core, at least for now.

> Personally I don't think a build tool and a website/report
> generator should be integrated, but maven does it and they already have an
> impressive list of reports (http://maven.apache.org/maven-reports.html).

Not that impressive, as most are not done by Maven but just external
tools that are integrated.

Forrestcode is not about integratimg outside report generators, but
about making a new generator for documenting the code.

We could call it "javadocs for all docs".

> I would suggest incorporating unique features of alexandria into maven.

If they want to do so, they are welcome. It has been already told months
ago, but they did not seem interested.

> At my company, we prefer forrest sites over maven sites, so we have a few custom
> scripts that will run things like javadocs, checkstyle, jlint, etc, transform
> the results into forrest docs, and copy them into each project's forrest xdocs
> directory.  This approach could be used for those who want code reports in forrest.

forrestcode is only about code docs, not reports.

What it will do is to generate a single unified view and documentation
of the source code.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -