forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Forrest adopting Alexandria?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:25:41 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:

>  > > Without knowing the JavaSrc donation. It would be fine to have an
>  > > opportunity
>  > > to plugin other languages like XML, C, Python, JavaScript, ...
>  >
>  > Exactly :-)
>  >
>  > Currently it supports javascript javadoc badly, and Ant
>  > buildfiles... In
>  > any case our current Forrest skin IMNSHO doesn't cut it for
>  > code docs, so I want to do a separate skinning for them.
>
> But the result of that step is a document.xml? So several skins can render
> it according to their own rules. (Not only colours (CSS) for reserved
> words, strings, etc).
>
> Maybe a new format could be useful. When I wrote a check for checkstyle I
> came to ANTLR [1]. Maybe you can use the types defined in
> ANTLRTokenTypes as an
> idea for a new xml syntax. So the process would be
>
>   sourcefile --1--> source-xml --2--> document12 --3--> HTML, PDF, ...
>
>   1: parser, maybe chaperon, maybe new ANTLR based
>   2: standard xslt sheet
>   3: usual transformation by skin

Yes, this is the basic idea, although in two parts: code ans "javadocs".

Source:
Source highlighting editors already do so, I checked for example JEdit,
Scintilla and Kate. In particular, Kate (http://kate.kde.org/) has an
xml syntax (http://kate.kde.org/hl/) that seems to be transformable into
something that Chaperon can use. In this way we can also plug these
easily in the <source> section to highlight code in the docs.

"Javadocs":
For these the idea is to have a basic xml javadoc format that can be
used by all languages... something like IDL in xml, so that these docs
look teh same and like the javadocs.

In any case, I think that the skins should be different from the normal
Forrest ones, as I find the javadocs for example to be much more suited
for code docs than the usual Forrest skins, that are for the site.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -