forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: How do I proceed (WAS Re: Forrest and Mathematics)
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:58:54 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> It's C code, tightly integrated into the Gecko rendering engine.
> I'd be surprised if anybody managed to make it accessible, short
> of providing a JNI to Gecko as a HTML+MathML rendering widget.
> Not that this would be useless, quite the contrary.
> The MozMathML people plundered TeX for algorithms on how to render
> equations. I think I've heard of a project providing a Java
> interface to TeX (or even a Java port), which could render to GIF
> among other things.

TeX is *the* king of math rendering, no doubt about that. It's funny how
I was reading yesterday the homepage of the LaTeX author... In any case
it should be not too hard to also output TeX, which is the standard for
printing math books, at least it is at the Universities I visited.

It seems that most are Gnu-licensed...

Anyway, IMHO extending JEuclid seems to be the best bet here, and
eventually also make a stylesheet to output of Forrest pages to LaTeX.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -