forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: FOP's Forrest-based web site
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:04:29 GMT
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Clay Leeds wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2004, at 8:50 AM, Clay Leeds wrote:
> > BTW, I notice that there's a book.xmlk file in each directory (dev/,
> > design/, altdesign/, etc.). Do I need a site.xml in those since I'm
> > "ridding" the site of book.xml files? (Also, I noticed this at the end
> > of the link you previously sent:
> >
> > http://xml.apache.org/forrest/linking.html#other-menu-selection
> >
> >   In general, however, we  recommend that users avoid book.xml.
> >
> > (which I take as further confirmation that my eradication of book.xml
> > is appropriate)
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> To further beat on this... Now that I have what appears to be a proper
> site.xml file, can I delete the book.xml files in /, design/, dev/ &
> design/alt.design/?
>
> Web Maestro Clay

Yes

site.xml specifies the navigation structure for the entire site.  You can
use book.xml on a per-directory basis to override the navigation menu for
documents in that directory.

For normal use, you have one site.xml in your xdocs directory and no
book.xml files

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net