forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: multiple skin descriptors, skin versions
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:24:52 GMT
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Marshall Roch wrote:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > This makes sense to me.  So the skin fetching target should get the highest
> > version compatible with the user's version of forrest.  So we would need to
> > track what version(s) of forrest a given skin version is compatible with.  For
> > example, skinabc 1.3 is the latest version compatible with 0.5, but there is
> > already a skinabc 2.0 which is compatible with 0.6-dev.  0.5 users shouldn't get
> > 2.0 but 0.6-dev users should.
>
> Right.

So each skin needs to declare what version it is and what versions of
forrest it is compatible with.  We could put this in the skins.xml
along with the other info (url, name, etc) of the skin.  However, the
version info needs to be self-contained in the skin and remain in a file
on the local installation of forrest.  skins.xml files are temporary on
local installations.

So I propose a skin.xml definition file to be in the base directory of
each skin.  It would contain the <skin> content from skinconf.xml in
addition to version information.  Skins.xml would just references these
files (they would have to be available outside the .zip also for easy
fetching).

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net