forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: FOP's Forrest-based web site
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:26:40 GMT
On Feb 23, 2004, at 11:00 AM, Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
>>> Actually, I'm moving away from 'book.xml' in favor of 'site.xml'
>>> which I assume (correctly?) is the preferred method. My hope is that
>>> by switching to 'site.xml' now, updates to future forrest versions
>>> will be easier. It seems to me (correctly?) that book.xml is being
>>> (for lack of a better term) deprecated in favor of site.xml, hence
>>> my switch. Else, why is the book.xml system considered an
>>> 'alternative' method for tabs?
>
> Wiser and more experienced people should chime in on this, but I've
> found that "book.xml" is very useful in certain situations; for
> example, when I want to have the user in a cul-de-sac in the menu and
> not distracted by other options under that same menu.
>
> Example:
>
> * Topic
>   Item1
>   Item2
>   Item3
>
> Although "topic" is a subdir of "foo", I don't want "foo" and its
> relatives to appear. book.xml makes this possible; if there's another
> way I've yet  to find it.

Thanks for the tidbit! That is one piece of information that would
certainly be useful to add to the Forrest linking page (where it says
people should stay away from 'book.xml'):

   http://xml.apache.org/forrest/linking.html

or... maybe I should put my money where my mouth is, and submit a
PATCH! Sorry I don't know how to submit one using your system...

Web Maestro Clay