forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Problems with FOP site (Was: Re: Sites built from sites)
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:27:35 GMT
On Feb 13, 2004, at 9:53 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> Ross Gardler said:
>>> Your breadcrumbs are correct and the site look fine with "forrest
>>> run".
>> This might be one of the problems I was running into: I never did a
>> "forrest run". Since I don't know what 'Jetty' and 'jetty.run' are, I
>> never tried those... I did the following from the command line:
>> forrest -projecthelp
>> forrest seed
>> forrest site
>
> Well this should build the breadcrumbs OK and since they work in a run
> they should work in a site. Run just starts up a version of Jetty and
> you can point your browser at http://localhost:8888 to see you site,
> much faster than building the site from scratch. You can also edit the
> src, refresh the browser and see the changes.

Ahh... I'll try that and play with it a bit. So I can edit the src .xml
files, then refresh the browser and it'll update the .html file I'm
viewing? Cool!

As for the breadcrumb, I was successful at changing 'mygroup >
myProject" to "apache > xml.apache" but I still need to append " > FOP"
to that. Here's the relevant portion of skinconf.xml:

   <searchsite-domain>xml.apache.org</searchsite-domain>
   <searchsite-name>Apache XML</searchsite-name>

   <!-- mandatory project logo
        skin: forrest-site renders it at the top -->
   <project-name>FOP</project-name>
   <project-description>Apache FOP Project</project-description>
   <project-url>http://xml.apache.org/fop/</project-url>
   <project-logo>images/project.png</project-logo>
   <!-- Alternative static image:
   <project-logo>images/project-logo.gif</project-logo> -->

   <!-- optional group logo
        skin: forrest-site renders it at the top-left corner -->
   <group-name>Apache XML</group-name>
   <group-description>Apache XML Projects</group-description>
   <group-url>http://xml.apache.org/</group-url>
   <group-logo>images/group-logo.gif</group-logo>
   <!-- Alternative static image:
   <group-logo>images/group-logo.gif</group-logo> -->

(NOTE: that it does not include "apache" and "www.apache.org" anywhere
in there... Where does that come from?

>>> What you need to do is verify that any needed customisations in your
>>> original xmap are copied across (I've not looked to see if any are
>>> actually needed).
>> I'll check that out with the developers. Unfortunately the primary
>> developer who worked (I think) on this portion is no longer actively
>> contributing, although I may be able to contact him.
>
> You should be able to worki it out by reading the sitemap.xmap file.
> Fortuneatly the customisations are clearly marked. You can then check
> to see if there is now an equivalent in Forrest.

Sounds good.

>>> You have to have either site.xml or book.xml. sitemap.xmap is
>>> nothing to
>>> do with these files, it manages how the site is built.
>> As far as I can tell, this file does not exist in any of the
>> distributions
>> to which I have access (did you find it in your download src?):
>
> I just took a look. The site is using the old book.xml method. This
> will still work fine. But it will be worth moving to the new site.xml
> method. It's easier to manage. But one step at a time. Stick with
> book.xml for now.

Is there an XSL stylesheet which'll help me move from book.xml to
site.xml?

>> That's why I thought perhaps they were using sitemap.xmap instead.
>
> sitemap.xmap governs how each request is managed. see
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/sitemap-ref.html

I read up on sitemap-ref, but since I was having problems getting the
site to build in the first place, I found it difficult to understand
how my changes would affect the site. Now that I can build something,
it should move easier.

Web Maestro Clay