forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Philosophy: Why id but no class?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:07:25 GMT
Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
> The DTD for documents includes the "id" attribute, but does not allow
> "class" attributes. I was wondering why this is the case; I'd think that
> one is just as "dangerous" to the unity of the UI as the other, and
> certainly I know I find find class important for certain table I have in
> mind.

A future version of Forrest will be moving to a subset of XHTML2 as the
intermediate format (replacing Document V1.2, which will become a source
format to maintain backward compatability). When this happens we will
have class on all elements.

In order to facilitate this we are migrating Document 1.2 towards XHTML,
the addition of the class attribute to all elements os one of the things
we have agreed is necessary. Feel free to provide a patch for some or
all elements and skins if you have the itch right now.

Ross