forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Moshe Yudkowsky <msha4...@bl.com>
Subject Re: FOP's Forrest-based web site
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:00:23 GMT

>> Actually, I'm moving away from 'book.xml' in favor of 'site.xml' which
>> I assume (correctly?) is the preferred method. My hope is that by
>> switching to 'site.xml' now, updates to future forrest versions will
>> be easier. It seems to me (correctly?) that book.xml is being (for
>> lack of a better term) deprecated in favor of site.xml, hence my
>> switch. Else, why is the book.xml system considered an 'alternative'
>> method for tabs?

Wiser and more experienced people should chime in on this, but I've found that
"book.xml" is very useful in certain situations; for example, when I want to
have the user in a cul-de-sac in the menu and not distracted by other options
under that same menu.

Example:

* Topic
   Item1
   Item2
   Item3

Although "topic" is a subdir of "foo", I don't want "foo" and its relatives to
appear. book.xml makes this possible; if there's another way I've yet  to find it.

--
  Moshe Yudkowsky
  Disaggregate

  <http://www.Disaggregate.com>