forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Moshe Yudkowsky <msha4...@bl.com>
Subject Re: Building new skin, unable to get site: or ext: to work
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:39:21 GMT
Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
> I've been successful building a new skin, but I am unable to get
> href="site:foo" or href="ext:bar" to work.

<snip>

> I suspect that there's a quick answer to this question, but I simply
> can't find it.

And the answer is rather wacky.

A document file in a subdirectory used <link href="../index.XML"> instead of
<link href="../link.HTML"> (emphasis added) to link to a file. The parser  read
the XML file and decided the XML files was evil because that file contained
ext:foo and/or site:bar.

As a newcomer I am still unraveling the mysteries of the pipelines, but I am a
bit surprised that if the parser does actually decide to parse that XML file
that the parser fails to correctly parse the ext:foo references.

(Of course I should not have used the ../index.html format; but I'm still just
a few hours into Forrest.)

Question for the experts: Should this have worked? If it didn't, should it have
failed the way it did or with an "improved" (more easily understood) error
message?

Note: Now that my eye is better tuned I understand the BUILD messages a bit
better, but it's very hard to know which "index.html" file is being built if
you have a lot of them. In addition, in this case, the index.html file was
being parsed because of its relationship with a file in a subdirectory; so if
the nesting structure had been exposed, it would be easier to understand. The
error messages, for example, are the only nested messages as far as I can tell,
with an indentation to tell you which file it was associated with.

--
  Moshe Yudkowsky
  Disaggregate

  <http://www.Disaggregate.com>