forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Moshe Yudkowsky <msha4...@bl.com>
Subject Why do font, etc. instructions appear in XSL templates?
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:32:30 GMT
I've been looking at forrest for the past couple of days, and I'll probably
migrate my current web site sometime today or tommorow.

I am very puzzled by some of the reasoning in the xsl files that I've found,
however. The files contain instructions that I thought would be properly
delegated to the CSS files. For example, in common/xslt/fo/document2fo.xls, we have

   <xsl:template match="notice">
     <fo:block
       font-size="10pt"
       text-align="left"
       space-before="20pt"
       width="7.5in"
       font-family="serif"
       border-top="0.25pt solid"
       border-bottom="0.25pt solid"
       padding-before="6pt"
       padding-after="6pt">
       NOTICE: <xsl:apply-templates/>
     </fo:block>
   </xsl:template>

In other words the font size is hard-coded and is not in CSS. It would seem to
me that a true "separation of concerns" would have this formatting information
in CSS where it would be easily modified.

So, two questions:

(1) Is there a collection someplace of skins other than the ones in the
distribution? In particular, I am looking for a skin that uses the CSS files to
accomplish all font variations, background colors, etc. For that matter, I like
to use "float" and "position" to align my div blocks.

(2) What is the reason that the XSL contains these font-family instructions?
"History" is a good reason, by the way. But if it's something deeper I would
appreciate a 25 word or longer explanation.

--
  Moshe Yudkowsky
  Disaggregate

  <http://www.Disaggregate.com>