forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sites built from sites
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 03:57:28 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>:
>

>>Clay Leeds wrote:

>>>I would think that Forrest's TAB system would suffice to accomplish this
>>>type of task (the building of sub-sites), and would create one tab for
>>>each sub-site.
>>
>>I already extended the tab system to have two layers of tabs, now I am
>>outgrowing that. But the main thing is that I need to provide different
>>courses for different institutions. I teach at three different places.
>>Not all of them have the same courses, so I really need different sites.
>>

> That sounds really big.  Do they all need to be integrated?  I would suggest
> making each course it's own site and have one master site that consists mainly
> of external links to all the seperate course sites.

Well, I'm not really telling the whole story. I run the sites
dynamically and my ultimate objective is to build different sites for
different students. So if a student is taking courses A, B and D they
only see those courses.

Of course I could do this by having separate sites as you suggest and
just generate the "index" site for each individual student. In fact, I
went that way about three months ago, but I recently reintegrated
everything into one site. The reason being that I do alot of xincludes
across courses and this proved to be really difficult as I had to
xinclude from the live site. This made testing impossible unless online,
since this is a third world country connectivity isn't as good as I'd
grown used to in the UK :-)

Perhaps I am tackling this in the wrong way?

Ross