forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sites built from sites
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 02:01:10 GMT

Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2004, at 9:29 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> So, I'm thinking that perhaps we should have sub-sites. In this
>> instance each course would have its own site.xml (site_A.xml,
>> site_B.xml etc.) then site.xml brings together then necessary sub-site
>> files:
>>
>> <site>
>>   <import site="site_A.xml">
>>   <import site="site_B.xml">
>> </site>
>

> I would think that Forrest's TAB system would suffice to accomplish this
> type of task (the building of sub-sites), and would create one tab for
> each sub-site.

I already extended the tab system to have two layers of tabs, now I am
outgrowing that. But the main thing is that I need to provide different
courses for different institutions. I teach at three different places.
Not all of them have the same courses, so I really need different sites.

I do have a tab for each site, and the second layer gives the
subsections of that site. However, this doesn't enable me to build a
version of the version of the main site without one of the sub sites. To
do that I need to comment out the references to it in the site.xml 8and*
the tabs.xml file.

> p.s. Keep in mind that my Forrest experience is minimal, involving
> mostly frustrating experiences getting Forrest to build my test site
> (FOP's web site). When I run Forrest on the xml-fop/ directory, I either
> see a shiny new "MyProj" web site (instead of xml-fop), or I get an
> error indicating site.xml is not valid. I've been spending free time
> trying to fix the problems with the FOP web site (breadcrumb) and get a
> whole site PDF. (I'm running Forrest 0.51 on Mac OS X 10.3.2 w/ JDK 1.4.2).

We're here to help, post your specific problems and I'm sure we can
help. After all we use FOP extensively and it is a real bonus for my
work. I promise to respond to your mails if I can help.

Ross