forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Move to SVN?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:42:37 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> How do others feel about moving our CVS to SVN? I've been using it
>> with Depot and it's quite nice :-)
>>

> Can you resume the main advances of using SVN?

There are many, but one is enough to switch: you can move files around
without loosing history!

SVN versions the tree, not the individual files (that's why you see the
funny version number incrementing each time anybody does an action on
the repo).

Another big advantage is the use of WebDAV. Basically Subversion is a
WebDAV server (infact, an apache2 server module: mod_svn). If you turn
autoversioning on, you can even have your OpenOffice work *directly* on
the repository and have a new version checked in everytime you save (no
commit log, though). Some people already use it like that instead of
Samba as a file sharing platform for windows/linux environments.

Another advantage is that installation is much easier, that data is
stored in a BerkeleyDB file (therefore not easily forgeable), access
control is much more granular (you can have different areas of commit,
for example for code and documentation, but all sharing the same module)
and, last but not least, being all HTTP based, it can take full
advantage of any proxying/caching layer around it (especially since a
particular version of a versioned resource is forever immutable!! a
paradise for cache writers ;-)

The only severe drawback is, of course, its relative youth: CVS, shitty
architecturally as it is, it's a rock solid piece of software, everybody
uses it and all IDEs supporting.

Even if Subversion has been in the works for years now, you can't really
say the same and this won't happen until they finally reach 1.0 final
(but being the same people around HTTPd, this is not going to happen
until they think that it is rock solid as CVS)

Hope this helps.

--
Stefano.