forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Move to SVN?
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:26:08 GMT
Eirik Bjørsnøs wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>How do others feel about moving our CVS to SVN? I've been using it with
>>Depot and it's quite nice :-)
>>

>I recently tried to convert a CVS repository (four years of history) to
>SVN with the cvs2svn tool.
>
>It not go well. Commits were out of order, and strange things happened..
>cvs2svn does not support tags and branches very well, so it could be
>related to this.
>
>I guess I will keep the old repository for history, and just import my
>project files into a fresh Subversion repository. Or wait for cvs2svn to
>impove..

If you converted, it would be done for you by the infrastructure team,
who have been playing with SVN for some time. It would be their job to
get the history across fine, and I'd be pretty surprised if they hadn't
got that one under their belt already.

They would be very keen to help a project use Subversion instead of CVS.

Forrest wouldn't be the first to use Subversion - there are incubated
projects using it. Forrest might be the first CVS migration. Not sure.

Regards, Upayavira