forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Plugin Use cases]
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:09:02 GMT
Johan Kok wrote:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>>Look at the seed's ihtml and ehtml files.  ehtml allows more HTML elements, but
>>skips some transformations, so only html output is available.  I wouldn't be
>>surprised if this dissappeared in the future.
>>
> Those exaple's output is NOT framed, but just displayed as is, i.e.
> without the Forrest skin around  the 'document'. Even if those samples
> disappear, one would still like to have such a 'framing' functionality,
> e.g. how about displaying a pdf file within the skin?

Last time I looked you can embed HTML into the forrest skin, that is it
will have the navigation, tabs etc. In addition if your HTML is written
with the skins CSS in mind, i.e. uses correct class names etc. it will
be skinned correctly too.

As for embedding a PDF in a skinned site, this would be nice but we are
either going to have to convert PDF to XHTML or we are going to be at
the mercy of browser functionality to embed PDF. I can imagine myself
having a use case for converting PDF to XHTML sometime in the future,
but not right now.

>>Also, with enough CSS skill, you can use create a skin that will work well for
>>forrest and non-forrest documents.  Of course you won't automatically get the
>>forrest navigation menus, though.
>>

> How about a set of  "Navigation-tab", "Navigation-slide",
> "Navigation-Menu", "Content" css's and generate a frames based output.
> That way one can have all and more simultaniously.

Please no frames in Forrest maintained skins (do what you like in your
own of course).

I don't think I'm the only one that hates frames with a passion.

Ross