forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <marsh...@exclupen.com>
Subject Re: multiple skin descriptors, skin versions
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2004 06:52:21 GMT
Johan Kok wrote:
> Marshall Roch wrote:
>> I've said it before, and I just wanted to reiterate it again.  An XML
>> file listing all of the skins and each version has the potential to
>> get huge pretty quickly.  It would create a lot of extra bandwidth
>> usage that could be avoided:
>
> Perphaps you misunderstood my proposal: It was to used the relationship
> information within an XML database to decide which to load. The
> intention was not to have all skins downloaded. On the contrary, once we
> get some nice flixible skins going, you will see a proliferation of such
> and that is really when the database solution will come into play.

This means that each user will need to download the entire XML database
from the server, process it, then request the particular file needed.
After said proliferation of skins, I'm guessing that the database could
get pretty big (1mb+?).

The whole RPC (or SOAP) transaction would be at most 10kb.  A downside
is a little more load on the server, which would probably be outweighed
by bandwidth costs.

--
Marshall Roch