forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johan Kok <j...@messianic.dyndns.org>
Subject Re: multiple skin descriptors, skin versions
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2004 05:17:41 GMT

Marshall Roch wrote:

> Johan Kok wrote:
>
>> Perhaps time to look at using XML database solution rather that
>> trying to describe everything in filenames. That could contain a
>> whole load more information than just that, e.g. document hierarchy
>> structure, which could be used to generate the site navigation, also
>> for the inclusion of plug-ins, setting of parameters, like those in
>> the sitemap etc..  Personally I believe that one can build enourmous
>> flexibility going in the direction of an XML database.
>

> I've said it before, and I just wanted to reiterate it again.  An XML
> file listing all of the skins and each version has the potential to
> get huge pretty quickly.  It would create a lot of extra bandwidth
> usage that could be avoided:

Perphaps you misunderstood my proposal: It was to used the relationship
information within an XML database to decide which to load. The
intention was not to have all skins downloaded. On the contrary, once we
get some nice flixible skins going, you will see a proliferation of such
and that is really when the database solution will come into play.