forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <marsh...@exclupen.com>
Subject Re: multiple skin descriptors, skin versions
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:44:39 GMT
Johan Kok wrote:
> Perhaps time to look at using XML database solution rather that trying
> to describe everything in filenames. That could contain a whole load
> more information than just that, e.g. document hierarchy structure,
> which could be used to generate the site navigation, also for the
> inclusion of plug-ins, setting of parameters, like those in the sitemap
> etc..  Personally I believe that one can build enourmous flexibility
> going in the direction of an XML database.

I've said it before, and I just wanted to reiterate it again.  An XML
file listing all of the skins and each version has the potential to get
huge pretty quickly.  It would create a lot of extra bandwidth usage
that could be avoided:

If the Forrest server ran an XML-RPC server (there are a number of Java
implementations, I believe), Forrest users could send an XML-RPC request
with their Forrest version and the skin they want, and the Forrest
server could figure out which file they need server-side and respond
with the right file name.  Then the user would grab just that file.

--
Marshall Roch