forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johan Kok <j...@messianic.dyndns.org>
Subject Re: multiple skin descriptors, skin versions
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:28:16 GMT

Dave Brondsema wrote:

>myskin-f0.6-dev-0.3.zip (not found so we try next)
>myskin-f0.6-dev-0.2.1.zip (not found so we try next)
>myskin-f0.6-dev-0.2.zip (not found so we try next)
>myskin-f0.6-dev-0.1.zip (not found so we try next)
>myskin-f0.6-dev.zip (not found so we try next)
>myskin-f0.5-0.3.zip (found!)
>
>I can easily put a prior-versions variable in forrest which we can use.  But
>forrest still doesn't know what version numbers to try when downloading a
>specific skin.  In the example above, it would have to know to start at 0.3 and
>also that there was a 0.2.1 release.  We could put prior-versions elements in
>the skins descriptor, but that's kinda ugly.  Another option, but with many
>potential problems, would be to try to get a list of files from the web server.
>
>Perhaps Ruper would be a better solution.  How would it handle a situation like
>this?  Does the repository publish a list of available files?

Perhaps time to look at using XML database solution rather that trying
to describe everything in filenames. That could contain a whole load
more information than just that, e.g. document hierarchy structure,
which could be used to generate the site navigation, also for the
inclusion of plug-ins, setting of parameters, like those in the sitemap
etc..  Personally I believe that one can build enourmous flexibility
going in the direction of an XML database.