forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johan Kok <j...@messianic.dyndns.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Plugin Use cases]
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:21:25 GMT

Dave Brondsema wrote:

>>A set of documents for conversion to XML ( i.e. ???->XML) should include
>>at least the following:
>>
>>    1. MS Office
>>           Word/rtf, excell/.csv, powerpoint (incl mail,
>>    netmeeting/calnedar, vcards, openlook, visio....
>>

>http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/
>
>Incomplete, but it does already have a cocoon serializer for HSSF (excel)

POI is great at reading, manipulating and exporting Excell documents,
but the last time I looked at it, it was no really usable to read a csv
file nor to generate XML from.   POI's whole focus is on the
reanding/generation/alterration of MS documents and not it's conversion
to XML. The latter is what is needed to bring users easily into Forrest
(at least a number of my users)

>>    2. Open Office
>>        Similar to MS Office
>>

>http://xml.apache.org/forrest/oowriter.html
>
>There isn't an example in seed, but oowriter.html is generated from oowriter.sxw
>Will check this one out... some work was also done on open office as a whole. If my memory
serves me right, they should be in a fairly advanced stage.

>>    3. Drawing/picture/animation packages (and formats) including:
>>    Corel, Adobe, Flash etc
>>

>Won't most of these simply be embedded images or objects and need no transformation?

Yes and no. Yes, to the extend most of it is embedding pictures and
objects (and could even be left as such). There is however more and more
descriptive data comming along in XML formats with these objects, which
is likely to require a fair bit of 'standaridisation' for common
management. - Use of mulitmedia is important at this stage, but the rest
could come a little later.

>>>My requriements go further in that I need to be able to create a
>>>dynamic version of the site too (interactive tutorials for example).
>>>So, in most cases, I am wanting to put functionality into the version
>>>of Cocoon shipped with Forrest. Some of this will massively increase
>>>the size of a Forrest distribution and isn't applicable to most
>>>(current) Forrest uses. Therefore, it really needs to be separate from
>>>the core of Forrest.
>>>

>Would XSP be powerful enough?  If so, see
>http://xml.apache.org/forrest/faq.html#xsp.  Unfortunately running forrest as a
>webapp is pretty slow.
>

>>How about the ability to switch between forrest and cocoon, keeping the
>>Forrest skin and navigation 'schema' in doing so. Another nice feature
>>in this case would be to be able to 'frame' a raw/html document within
>>the Forrest skin.
>>

>Look at the seed's ihtml and ehtml files.  ehtml allows more HTML elements, but
>skips some transformations, so only html output is available.  I wouldn't be
>surprised if this dissappeared in the future.

Those exaple's output is NOT framed, but just displayed as is, i.e.
without the Forrest skin around  the 'document'. Even if those samples
disappear, one would still like to have such a 'framing' functionality,
e.g. how about displaying a pdf file within the skin?

>Also, with enough CSS skill, you can use create a skin that will work well for
>forrest and non-forrest documents.  Of course you won't automatically get the
>forrest navigation menus, though.

How about a set of  "Navigation-tab", "Navigation-slide",
"Navigation-Menu", "Content" css's and generate a frames based output.
That way one can have all and more simultaniously.