forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Clay Leeds" <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Problems with FOP site (Was: Re: Sites built from sites)
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:39:34 GMT
Ross Gardler said:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> I want to update the FOP web site to fix the breadcrumb problem, and to
>> add Whole Site PDF. I do not get errors using the most current version
>> from the following "snapshot" link (HEAD branch), but the result (on my
>> system) is always "MyProj":
>>
>> http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/xml-fop/
>
> OK I tried building with the last nights CVS Head of Forrest and the
> most recent snapshot of FOP. First of all I got the problem with
> skinconf recently discussed on this list. So I patched your Skinconf.xml
> file (sent offlist)

Got it. I'll try it out. Thanks!

> Then I had a problem with your sitemap.xmap. It doesn't parse correctly.
> I was going to patch this but there is a large number of customisations
> all over the place so didn't even try. I just thought I'd give it a go
> with the default Forrst sitemap (I renamed your
> old one to get it out of the way, also renamed the 0.5 version of the
> sitemap that was in there).
>
> This worked OK.
>
> Your breadcrumbs are correct and the site look fine with "forrest run".

This might be one of the problems I was running into: I never did a
"forrest run". Since I don't know what 'Jetty' and 'jetty.run' are, I
never tried those... I did the following from the command line:

forrest -projecthelp
forrest seed
forrest site
forrest
forrest validate

> What you need to do is verify that any needed customisations in your
> original xmap are copied across (I've not looked to see if any are
> actually needed).

I'll check that out with the developers. Unfortunately the primary
developer who worked (I think) on this portion is no longer actively
contributing, although I may be able to contact him.

>> I get errors stating 'site.xml is not valid'. Heh... actually, I don't
>> think the file exists, as they're using sitemap.xmap instead.
>
> You have to have either site.xml or book.xml. sitemap.xmap is nothing to
> do with these files, it manages how the site is built.

As far as I can tell, this file does not exist in any of the distributions
to which I have access (did you find it in your download src?):

/src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml

That's why I thought perhaps they were using sitemap.xmap instead.

>> Anyway, I
>> have problems generating the FOP web site from this src (Maintenance
>> branch, which I'm using mainly for testing Forrest):
>>
>> http://apache.get-software.com/xml/fop/fop-0.20.5-src.tar.gz
>
> I should have read your mail properly before starting. I didn't try the
> above with this branch.

The above branch isn't really necessary. What I was trying to eplain was
that when I had problems doing the FORREST build thing, I tried the
MAINTENANCE branch tosee if it worked. It didn't do what I wanted either.

>> At this point, I'd like to be able to build locally, the current FOP web
>> site. Once there, I'd like to fix the problems indicated above.
>
> Try the above, if it doesn't work I'll have another look using the
> maintenance version of FOP.
>
> Ross

Don't bother with the maintenance version.

Thanks for your help! I should've asked for help *months* ago!

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com