forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <googoodolls...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How do I proceed (WAS Re: Forrest and Mathematics)
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:57:26 GMT
> > Does this solution handle *all* TeX markup?
>
> Of course not all markup. This is impossible and unnecessary.
> But most of core and the math environment work.

[edited necessary to unnecessary as I believe you meant]

What kind of thigs are missing?  Why are they unnecessary?

> > If it does (and you are
> > willing to let us have the necessary configs) then the problem is
> > already solved!
>
> Which problem? If I get it right you want that Forrest renders MathML
> for you, or do you want to use Forrest with TeX as input?!

I want to use Forrest to display 'Maths'.  I personally don't care
whether it uses MathML or Tex, or somehow uses a kind of stylesheet to
transform one into the other - I just want to be able to put equations
in my Forrest docs to be able to type up my lecture notes and have them
available on the web.

The reason I don't care whether it's MathML or TeX is that I haven't
learnt how to write either yet - I'm going to have to learn one of them
though!  I'm willing to learn whichever Forrest will support.

> BTW, you can also use the math enviroment within Wiki, for example:
>
> -----------------------
> !Math equations
>
> $\frac{2 \cdot x}{x^2} = y$
>
> And the result is ....

Is this in your own setup or already possible in Forrest?

=====
Paul Smith
Postgraduate Student
Department of Mathematics
School of Engineering, Computer Science,
                            and Mathematics
University of Exeter
(Laver building room C96, Tel X3990)