forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: multiple skin descriptors, skin versions
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:54:02 GMT
Quoting Marshall Roch <marshall@exclupen.com>:

> Johan Kok wrote:
> > Perhaps time to look at using XML database solution rather that trying
> > to describe everything in filenames. That could contain a whole load
> > more information than just that, e.g. document hierarchy structure,
> > which could be used to generate the site navigation, also for the
> > inclusion of plug-ins, setting of parameters, like those in the sitemap
> > etc..  Personally I believe that one can build enourmous flexibility
> > going in the direction of an XML database.
>
> I've said it before, and I just wanted to reiterate it again.  An XML
> file listing all of the skins and each version has the potential to get
> huge pretty quickly.  It would create a lot of extra bandwidth usage
> that could be avoided:
>
> If the Forrest server ran an XML-RPC server (there are a number of Java
> implementations, I believe), Forrest users could send an XML-RPC request
> with their Forrest version and the skin they want, and the Forrest
> server could figure out which file they need server-side and respond
> with the right file name.  Then the user would grab just that file.
>
> --
> Marshall Roch

That seems like a good solution from a programmatic viewpoint (ours) but it adds
a significant requirement for the server.  Very few sites have permissions on
their host to run an XML-RPC server.  Moreover, I would like a solution that
would continue to work for local files too (using file:/ instead of http:/)

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net