forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <>
Subject Re: multiple skin descriptors, skin versions
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 17:42:45 GMT
Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <>:

> Marshall Roch wrote:
> > 3) Skin version based on Forrest version and revision of skin

> Ok, so I guess we all agree now on 3) as proposed by Dave. :-)
> I'll see how we can get round to using Ruper and Version for this.

I've got something almost working, but there's a technical difficulty in knowing
what files to try to download.  Basically forrest needs to know all possible
forrest version numbers and all possible skin version numbers.  E.G: try
downloading: (not found so we try next) (not found so we try next) (not found so we try next) (not found so we try next) (not found so we try next) (found!)

I can easily put a prior-versions variable in forrest which we can use.  But
forrest still doesn't know what version numbers to try when downloading a
specific skin.  In the example above, it would have to know to start at 0.3 and
also that there was a 0.2.1 release.  We could put prior-versions elements in
the skins descriptor, but that's kinda ugly.  Another option, but with many
potential problems, would be to try to get a list of files from the web server.

Perhaps Ruper would be a better solution.  How would it handle a situation like
this?  Does the repository publish a list of available files?

Dave Brondsema - personal - programming - student org

View raw message