forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: multiple skin descriptors, skin versions
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 17:42:45 GMT
Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:

> Marshall Roch wrote:
> > 3) Skin version based on Forrest version and revision of skin

> Ok, so I guess we all agree now on 3) as proposed by Dave. :-)
>
> I'll see how we can get round to using Ruper and Version for this.

I've got something almost working, but there's a technical difficulty in knowing
what files to try to download.  Basically forrest needs to know all possible
forrest version numbers and all possible skin version numbers.  E.G: try
downloading:

myskin-f0.6-dev-0.3.zip (not found so we try next)
myskin-f0.6-dev-0.2.1.zip (not found so we try next)
myskin-f0.6-dev-0.2.zip (not found so we try next)
myskin-f0.6-dev-0.1.zip (not found so we try next)
myskin-f0.6-dev.zip (not found so we try next)
myskin-f0.5-0.3.zip (found!)

I can easily put a prior-versions variable in forrest which we can use.  But
forrest still doesn't know what version numbers to try when downloading a
specific skin.  In the example above, it would have to know to start at 0.3 and
also that there was a 0.2.1 release.  We could put prior-versions elements in
the skins descriptor, but that's kinda ugly.  Another option, but with many
potential problems, would be to try to get a list of files from the web server.

Perhaps Ruper would be a better solution.  How would it handle a situation like
this?  Does the repository publish a list of available files?

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net