forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How do I proceed (WAS Re: Forrest and Mathematics)
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:11:10 GMT
Am Fr, den 06.02.2004 schrieb Paul Smith um 16:57:
> > > Does this solution handle *all* TeX markup?
> >
> > Of course not all markup. This is impossible and unnecessary.
> > But most of core and the math environment work.
>
> [edited necessary to unnecessary as I believe you meant]

Oops, I mean unnecessary, of course.

> What kind of thigs are missing?  Why are they unnecessary?

There are nearly thousands of commands. In the real world, you only use
a subset of them.

> > > If it does (and you are
> > > willing to let us have the necessary configs) then the problem is
> > > already solved!
> >
> > Which problem? If I get it right you want that Forrest renders MathML
> > for you, or do you want to use Forrest with TeX as input?!
>
> I want to use Forrest to display 'Maths'.  I personally don't care
> whether it uses MathML or Tex, or somehow uses a kind of stylesheet to
> transform one into the other - I just want to be able to put equations
> in my Forrest docs to be able to type up my lecture notes and have them
> available on the web.

If you write more than just one equation, you will make a difference,
for sure ;-) If you have a document with dozens of equations, MathML
makes it unmaintainable.

> The reason I don't care whether it's MathML or TeX is that I haven't
> learnt how to write either yet - I'm going to have to learn one of them
> though!  I'm willing to learn whichever Forrest will support.

XML is a very bad format for editors knowing from experience(We
have thousands of documents with equations in our project). But this is
a different chapter...

> > BTW, you can also use the math enviroment within Wiki, for example:
> >
> > -----------------------
> > !Math equations
> >
> > $\frac{2 \cdot x}{x^2} = y$
> >
> > And the result is ....
> >

> Is this in your own setup or already possible in Forrest?

Not now, but can easily done by adding some additional transformers to
the cwiki.

cwiki --> xdoc + mathml ---> html + gif images (or mathml)

But first things first. You should first start to get MathML running.
I can help if there problems occur...

Stephan.