forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Forrest adopting Alexandria?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:40:55 GMT
Quoting Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> > I think that moving it in Forrest would be beneficial both to the
> > Alexandria code, and to Forrest.
>
> +0
>
> My only concern is that this is pretty specific functionality of use to
> only a certain type of site, i.e. project sites. I have no problem with
> the functionality being there, it's just I don;t need it right now.

-1

This sounds too much like maven.  http://maven.apache.org/  Maven is a build
tool that "throws in a website for free".  Included in the website are many
project reports.  Personally I don't think a build tool and a website/report
generator should be integrated, but maven does it and they already have an
impressive list of reports (http://maven.apache.org/maven-reports.html).  I
would suggest incorporating unique features of alexandria into maven.

At my company, we prefer forrest sites over maven sites, so we have a few custom
scripts that will run things like javadocs, checkstyle, jlint, etc, transform
the results into forrest docs, and copy them into each project's forrest xdocs
directory.  This approach could be used for those who want code reports in forrest.

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net