forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Justus.Pia...@ULg.ac.be (Justus H. Piater)
Subject Re: [NOTE] Skin status update
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:17:16 GMT
Marshall Roch <marshall@exclupen.com> wrote on Thu, 08 Jan 2004
16:48:01 -0500:

>> - In the top part, could one separate the rounded-corner images from
>>   the horizontal and vertical lines? This would remove the size limits
>>   imposed by the current images (see the search box if you grow the
>>   font size).
>
> I don't believe so.  See the Sliding Doors[2] article on A List
> Apart. I don't think this is too big of a deal, since the images will
> be cached.  I will make them longer to support more drastic font
> resizing.

Good point. It drastically simplifies tab layout, and the images are
loaded only once. Moreover, the size difference is sub-proportional
with compressed PNG.

>> - The menu bar has absolute width. It should be relative to font size.
>
> To get the background to go all the way down the side, you have to use
> a background image (which, obviously, is fixed-width).  I agree,
> though, that it should be fluid, I just don't know if it's possible.

Why not use a menu bar <div> with height=100% that is covered at the
top by whatever appears at the head of the page (header, tabs, ...)?
Then you don't even need an image.

Justus

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279