forrest-dev mailing list archives

From (Justus H. Piater)
Subject Re: [NOTE] Skin status update
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:17:16 GMT
Marshall Roch <> wrote on Thu, 08 Jan 2004
16:48:01 -0500:

>> - In the top part, could one separate the rounded-corner images from
>>   the horizontal and vertical lines? This would remove the size limits
>>   imposed by the current images (see the search box if you grow the
>>   font size).
> I don't believe so.  See the Sliding Doors[2] article on A List
> Apart. I don't think this is too big of a deal, since the images will
> be cached.  I will make them longer to support more drastic font
> resizing.

Good point. It drastically simplifies tab layout, and the images are
loaded only once. Moreover, the size difference is sub-proportional
with compressed PNG.

>> - The menu bar has absolute width. It should be relative to font size.
> To get the background to go all the way down the side, you have to use
> a background image (which, obviously, is fixed-width).  I agree,
> though, that it should be fluid, I just don't know if it's possible.

Why not use a menu bar <div> with height=100% that is covered at the
top by whatever appears at the head of the page (header, tabs, ...)?
Then you don't even need an image.

Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279
Université de Liège, Belgium    Fax:   +32-4-366-2620

View raw message