forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Justus.Pia...@ULg.ac.be (Justus H. Piater)
Subject Re: Indirect linking and request parameters
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:20:50 GMT
Upayavira <uv@upaya.co.uk> wrote on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 10:36:47 +0000:

> Justus H. Piater wrote:
>>
>>I'm building a site where some pages rely on request parameters
>>("file.html?parameter=value"), using XSP. All links are known at build
>>time, so I can in principle build a static site.
>>  PROBLEM 1: The corresponding links in the statically-built pages are
>>             not rewritten appropriately. They still point to
>>             "file.html?parameter=value".
>>
> Do you use 'link view' or 'link gathering'? Look at the top level
> attributes in your cli.xconf file. The URLs should be rewritten - it
> is the same code that converts a filename as converts links, so that
> is strange.

<cocoon verbose="true"
        follow-links="true"
        precompile-only="false"
        confirm-extensions="false">

Not sure what this means; I did not fiddle with link rewriting.

>>- PROBLEM 3: I'd rather use indirect links, but there's apparently no
>>             way to include request parameters.
>>
> What is an indirect link?

<link href="site:file"> (terminology from
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/linking.html)

I'm not an XPath expert, but it seems to me that there is no way to
include request parameters in XPath expressions, and that in fact the
whole concept does not fit the XPath philosophy that presupposes
static, pre-existing XML structures. Finally, it seems that there is
currently no canonical syntax for referring to dynamically generated,
parameterized XML, though I don't see anything wrong with such a
concept.

So, I guess that a pragmatic solution is to stick with direct linking
for now. For a cleaner solution, use a Generator instead of XSP files
that take parameters. Ideally though, I think that indirect linking
should support request parameters.

What does the community think?

Justus

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279