forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/core/context dtd.xmap
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:18:50 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>>
>>> Dave,
>>>
>>> The truth is that things are too messy.
>>>
>>> what I do not understant is why forrest_home is on
>>> xml-forrest/build/dist/shbat in the first place.
>>
>> I already explained it to you in the last messages. What part did you
>> not understand?
>
> no no, you did not explain why FORREST_HOME is under build/dist/shbat
> instead.

So that users don't need to change their FORREST_HOME.

> putting libraries under WEB-INF/lib or modifying cocoon.xconf
> does not requiere to thave FORREST_HOME under build/dist/shbat.
>
>>> I rather than change to xml-forrest/src/core.
>>
>> I'd like too, but there are two issues to be resolved. The filtering
>> and the libraries. It can be fixed, but someone has to do it.
>
> well I tried, but things are too messy, I am thinking about:
>

> Either create a FORREST_ROOT to point to ../../../build/dist/shbat
> (xml-forrest)
>
> move FORREST_HOME to  ../../../build/dist/shbat (xml-forrest)
>
> WDYT?

I understand your concerns, and I agree with them, but I think that this
is a half-baked solution. The goal is not to move away Forrest_home, but
to make it so that we don't need a build step at all. We can get away
with a final solution without needing these hacks, so IMO we should
pursue that instead.

  - make jetty run Forrest without needing that the libraries are in
    WEB-INF
  - make it so that cocoon.xconf doesn't need filtering

In any way, I'll try to see what I can do for this in the next days, and
keep your suggestions in my head, because maybe they will nevertheless
come in handy.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -