forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tabs.xml into site.xml
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:11:46 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:

>> My thoughts overall: keep tabs.xml since it is serving it's purpose
>> well (and backwards compatibility). The only functionality that I
>> think we should add is default tabs (no tabs.xml file) that take
>> each top-level node of the site.xml
>
> How about allowing a locally defined tabs.xml file to override the
> autogenerated version. This maintains backward compatability and removes
> the *requirement* to maintain two separate files.

As it has been noted by many, tabs are not necessarily containers of
pages, but may be used more like bookmarks.

Hence what I would propose to do is:

1 - add a <tabs> section in site.xml where tabs can be placed, instead
     of tabs.xml (which remains as an option)
2 - make it possible to generate tabs even without a section by just
     defining an attribute in skinconf that enables the first levels
     to be used as tabs (more difficult to do but possible)

Both points can be done while preserving back-compat.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -