forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding additional headers (to the <HTML <HEAD entry).
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:27:44 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>>Let's see if I understand...
>>
>>  xdocs/index.html
>>        index.rss|index.atom
>>
>>You want that index.html contains a link in the header to the feed files.
> Correct.
>
>>Some thoughts:
>>
>>In forrest there should be only one file with a given name in a given
>>dir, as there should be only one source.
>
> FWIIW: The two I create are not xdocs, so:

          src/doc/content/xdocs/index.html
          src/doc/content/index.rss|index.atom

Same problem, it's still the file with the same name in the same place.

>>  xdocs/index.html
>>        index-feed.rss|index-feed.atom
>
> If the above doesn't change your opinion I'm fine w/ changing my names. Heck
> rss.rss and atom.atom suit me fine. With auto-discovery a user ought never
> type them in...
>
>>Secondly, what's the relationship between index.html and the feeds? Can
>>one be generated from the other? If so, we can have the same source for
>>both. If not, the first comment applies.
>
> Let's get concrete:
>
> http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.html
> http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.rss
> http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.atom
>
> They are all the same index (sorta) first one human readable, second two
> computer readable.

It's not the same information.

Now I get what you're at...

For now I suggest that we extend the DTD and you go on like this, but as
soon as we get full DTD extensions, this is the suggested route IIUC:

  - create a gumprun.xml file with it's DTD, containing all information
    about a gump run
  - create a gumprun2xdocs.xsl file
  - create a gumprun2rss.xsl file
  - pack them up in a DTD extension

In this way you get a single source as I like.
Hope I showed you what I mean by this :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -