forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding additional headers (to the <HTML <HEAD entry).
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:50:53 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> I'd like to support feed auto-discovery (both RSS & Atom) from the forrest
> sites I generate. These require a <LINK entry in the <HTML <HEAD section of
> the page. I generate index.rss & index.atom for index.html and (in
> sub-directories) things like {pageName}.[rss|atom] for {pageName}.html.

Let's see if I understand...

  xdocs/index.html
        index.rss|index.atom

You want that index.html contains a link in the header to the feed files.

Is this correct?

Some thoughts:

In forrest there should be only one file with a given name in a given
dir, as there should be only one source.

Ideally the file should not be served with an extension at all, but it
breaks Explorer in some cases, makes offline navigation almost
impossible and browsers cannot show you different representations of the
same URL.

Also, changes.xml already generated it's RSS, and in the future other
pages will, so your system would break.

So if the files are different, I would suggest a different name:

  xdocs/index.html
        index-feed.rss|index-feed.atom

Secondly, what's the relationship between index.html and the feeds? Can
one be generated from the other? If so, we can have the same source for
both. If not, the first comment applies.

So, what can be done is that Forrest adds the header link if it's
specified in the page.

Since we will move to XHTML2, that has links in the header, I don't se
why we can't just patch our DocumentDTD for now and add a <link> element
in the header. Then the skins can react on that, and when we switch to
XHTML2 the feature will remain.

What do others think?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -