forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [PLAN] Move to XHTML2 in V0.7
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:09:30 GMT

This is a summary thread of the intention of the Forrest team to change
the base document format from DocumentDTD to the relevant parts of XHTML2:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2

Here is an old but still valid summary of what the change involves in
the tags:

   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102909917505608&w=2

Also see the recent thread "Documentv20 --> XHTML" for the latest
discussions.

                           - = -

What does this mean?

* the *base* document format will be XHTML2, instead of DocumentDTD.
* the documents will be validated with RelaxNG as the spec has such a
schema.

I also suggest that we change the format of our skins, so that in 0.7 we
can keep both skin formats and switch based on the fact that a skin file
exists or not.

Now we have (for html output):

  skins/skinname/xslt/html/book2menu.xsl
                          /document2html.xsl
                          /site2xhtml.xsl
                          /tab2menu.xsl

I propose that, as has already been suggested, we change to a single
transformation file:

  skins/skinname/xslt/html/xhtml2-html.xsl

Rationale:

* usually book2menu.xml and tab2menu.xsl are minimal
* the path transformations done with stylesheets can be done
   better with a transformer
* splitting document2html and site2xhtml transformations does
   not add speed
* splitting stylesheets can be done with <import>s

Comments?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -