forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Random woes...
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:18:03 GMT
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Can anybody  help me figure out these? I use forrest (lots) I just don't
> know it's internal workings (I didn't create the skins, or tweak the
> config). I am a dumb user [not proud, just a fact], and if at all possible
> I'd like to remain that way (just learn the XDOCs layout, and let forrest be
> smarter than me.) Maybe I can't though, 'cos these just got me when I ran a
> relatively recent CVS HEAD version against some xdocs/config that I've not
> changed in ages:
>
> 1) Why are these breadcrumbs bogus? [Do other folks see what I see?]
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/index.html

This is a common problem.  Perhaps we should make an FAQ.  You can specify
up to three urls in the skinconf.xml.  These are used as the first items
in the breadcrumb trail.  After that, javascript is used to make links for
each directory, beginning at the domain.  So in your case, javascript
creates a 'gump' link for the 'gump' directory.  So you should not specify
a breadcrumb for http://jakarta.apache.org/gump in your skinconf.xml

> 2) The 'every menu site.xml knows of' at :
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/nagged.html

Looking at site.xml, I don't see an entry for nagged, so it doesn't know
which tab to put it under.  If you don't want a link to it in the menu,
but still want it to appear as part of one tab, you can use a site.xml
entry without specifying a label.

> P.S. What is the state of forrestbot on Apache for Apache projects? The
> 'old' bot had a forrest that was too old for Gump's pages. Is the new bot
> available to the community as a service?

The new forrestbot in latest CVS works, but the webapp to trigger it is
not working yet.  These are both in the 'sandbox' directory and will
replace the old forrestbot once they are ready.  After this, I will see
what has to be done to get it up at forrestbot.cocoondev.org

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net