forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Smith" <websound...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: SVG with Forrest?
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:37:52 GMT
Nicola Ken Barrozi wrote:

>Anytime :-)

Thank you very much. :D

>Are you thinking of doing:
source formats ------> documentDTD -----> SVG?

Yes, that's what I'm looking at doing. I'm really interested in future
developments happening in the SVG multimedia area, and for that matter all
xml-based vector document developments. I am also looking at (not to offend
open source) MS xaml/Longhorn, etc., and Flash, and comparison and contrasts
between them. But, I'd like to start with SVG, and make a kind of site/blog
about these areas. Mostly or all in SVG to start. That combination I have to
figure out. I'm interested in doing it in Cocoon though because I'd like to
be able to do it multilingually eventually. And in some distant fantasy
possibly incorporate Voice XML and sound. :)

>Could you please explain a bit your usecase? If we have that, it could be
>really easy to add the functionality in the internals to be of use to you.

I don't know what totally you mean by my usercase, but I'll try. When I said
I had Cocoon running, I only meant I had it up on my home XP Pro development
machine so far. That alone took me three days. (XP/Java 1.4.2/Tomcat
4.1.27/Cocoon 2.1.3) As far as where I'm planning on hosting my site, I was
recommended on the Cocoon user's list to kattare.com, where they are running
these same versions of Java/Tomcat, but I have as yet to figure out how to
get Cocoon (let alone Forrest) installed on their Linux (Slackware) boxes.

If you could give me any advice considering the direction(s) I might take,
I'd really appreciate it. It might take me a little while though. I am such
a programming newbie i make the phrase new look old. I was however proud to
be the first person ever to mention the word "Cocoon" on the svg-dev list at
yahoo, in some nearly 40,000 posts.

:)

Thanks, Nicola and Jan.
And again, very nice day all.