forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] add DTDs to Apache website
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:01:41 GMT

On 15 Jan 2004, at 05:05, David Crossley wrote:

> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>> 3) The Forrest website is built using the "stable" version of
>>> Forrest (currently v0.5.1). So how will DTDs from the current
>>> CVS (v0.6-dev) get into the website CVS [3]? Manual copy? See 4).
>>>
>>> 4) If some committer changes the DTDs in CVS then they will be
>>> out-of-sync. Will committers remember to do the manual copy? See 3).
>>
>> I don't see this problem. On the one hand there are the older files
>> like
>> document 0.10 or 0.11 that won't be touched, on the other hand 0.12
>> (or
>> is it already old too?) which is developed at the moment. You can't
>> make
>> incompatible changes for one version, otherwise you will break
>> possibly
>> thousands of documents out there. So only extensions are possible.
>
> Absolutely. I think that i got a bit mixed up with whatever i was
> trying to say in item 4. We need proper version control and we
> have a naming convention for that.
>
> Forrest has been careful not to introduce any incompatible changes.
> However, i think that we need to be more careful about adding even
> new optional stuff. Every change should be a totally new DTD version.
>
>> In
>> conclusion: the update cycle must not be once per minute, but maybe
>> once
>> per day or only week. Now what about having a cron job running on the
>> website server that checks out recent DTD versions? Forcing manual
>> work
>> that's critical and without much effort automatically doable sounds
>> not
>> that good.
>
> Good idea. Nicola Ken suggested something similar.

Ok, a little more .htaccess magic:

# First, proxy the content straight out of ViewCVS
ProxyPass        /forrest/
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-forrest/src/core/
context/resources/schema/dtd/
ProxyPassReverse /forrest/
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-forrest/src/core/
context/resources/schema/dtd/

# Now, since ViewCVS is pretty slow, make sure you cache it
CacheEnable mem /forrest/

# for a day
CacheDefaultExpire 86400
   MCacheSize 4096
   MCacheMaxObjectCount 100
   MCacheMinObjectSize 1
   MCacheMaxObjectSize 2048

# and in case your client is a good web citizen, tell the proxies down
the road
# to avoid calling us since we guarantee the content is fresh for a day
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 day"

> --
Stefano, who has been waiting for some 18 months for somebody else to
come up with the idea of having forrest pregenerating the .htaccess
file to do some sort of poor-man multichannel or content negotiation,
but has lost hope so it's time to inject notion in the system.