forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] add DTDs to Apache website
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:50:55 GMT

On 16 Jan 2004, at 03:16, David Crossley wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> <snip/>
>> Ok, a little more .htaccess magic:
>>
>> # First, proxy the content straight out of ViewCVS
> <snip for brevity/>
>> # Now, since ViewCVS is pretty slow, make sure you cache it
>> CacheEnable mem /forrest/
>>
>> # for a day
>> CacheDefaultExpire 86400
>>    MCacheSize 4096
>>    MCacheMaxObjectCount 100
>>    MCacheMinObjectSize 1
>>    MCacheMaxObjectSize 2048
>>
>> # and in case your client is a good web citizen,
>> # tell the proxies down the road to avoid calling us
>> # since we guarantee the content is fresh for a day
>> ExpiresActive On
>> ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 day"
>
> It could be way longer than that. These are published
> resources that should not change.

David,

understand that 1 day is not the granularity of the potential change
time of the resource, but the time you want everybody in the world to
update in case you *do* change it.

The expire header indicates proxies how long to cache that resource and
avoid hitting you back. If you set this to a year, for example, you
won't see your changes percolating thru proxies in less than this
period... and this will be a random experience for your users and there
is no way for us to signal those proxies to invalidate their cache
because they won't hit us (for the way the web is setup).

[the same problem happens with DNS, btw]

--
Stefano.