forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] add DTDs to Apache website
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 13:57:29 GMT

On 16 Jan 2004, at 21:01, Marshall Roch wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> I'm implying that many people in this list wouldn't know how to setup
>> a mod_rewrite rule on top of their head, for example. And I'm
>> implying that this is hurting this project and it's time to change
>> that since, apparently, won't be changed by the httpd people as I
>> expected it would have been.
>
> One of the big selling points of Forrest is that it is not tied to a
> specific webserver:

sure, but how this has to do with our DTD hosting is a little hard for
me to get.

> - Based on Java, Forrest is platform-independent, making for a
> documentation system that is just as portable as the XML data it
> processes.  (Forrest homepage)
>
> Although this is an Apache project, that does not mean that we should
> tie it to HTTPd just because it too is an Apache project.

of course, but keep in mind that our web is hosted on apache and I
think that is kinda unlikely that the ASF will move its web
infrastructure on some other web server <grin/>

As for closer integration of forrest with httpd, I think it would be
terribly useful, even if optional or configurable/out. When I'll hit
that wall, you'll see the patches flowing. Then the community will
decide what to do with them and it's fine for me.

> As the rest of this thread shows (you did read it before starting to
> bitch about lack of HTTPd integration,  didn't you?),

:-)

> there are other avenues to explore in order to solve this problem.

I tossed in my proposal. The community will decide what to do.

And, pardon me, but I'll keep criticizing what I find criticizable.
That's not bitching in my book, it's constructive criticism.

--
Stefano.