forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <marsh...@exclupen.com>
Subject Re: multiple skin descriptors, skin versions
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:29:51 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> I also want to have install-skin work to delete the existing skin, if
> any, so it can be used to update skins also.  But that could be
> dangerous if (for example) forrest-site was deleted and then there
> was no .zip for it to replace it.

Just download the skin before deleting the old one.  If it doesn't
exist, obviously, don't delete the old one.  Or am I missing something?

> Perhaps we could put all the skins in the default skin descriptor?
> But how then would we keep the skins there up to date?

I don't follow.  What are you trying to accomplish here?  If it's just a
list of skins available for download, XML-RPC or some other sort of XML
file on the Forrest server should work, right?

> I suppose we could do it manually each time we do a forrest release.
> We do support versioned skins.

I don't like this.  Skins should be able to be updated more often than
the Forrest core.

I think that for this to work, skins should have their own version
numbers, unrelated to the version of Forrest they work with.  The reason
for this is that some versions of Forrest will not need new versions of
the skin, so updating the skin is pointlessly redundant. On the other
hand, there will be browser/bug fixes, tweaks, additions, etc. in the
skin which should warrant a new skin release, but not a new Forrest release.

This scheme is based loosely on the PEAR (http://pear.php.net)
versioning scheme:

1) If modifications are needed to work with a new version of Forrest,
give the skin a new major version number (1.0 to 2.0)

2) If BC is maintained between Forrest releases, do not create a new
skin version.

3) Feature additions to the skin, provided that it maintains
compatibility with all of the Forrest versions that it has previously
worked with, should increment the minor version number (1.1.0 to 1.2.0)

4) Bug and browser-compatibility fixes that do not significantly modify
the skin nor add new features should increment the patch version number
(1.1.1 to 1.1.2)

> Speaking of which, the forrest version in forrest.build.xml is 0.5
> but the description says 0.6-dev.  Shouldn't the version be 0.6-dev?
> Would this adversely affect version specific .xmap and .xconf files?

This is adversely affecting skins made for 0.6.  When I ran
"package-skin" on xhtml-css, the filename was xhtml-css-0.5.zip or
something like that, even though it (apparently) doesn't work with 0.5.

--
Marshall Roch