forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <marsh...@exclupen.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] xhtml-css skin
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:01:10 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> No time to look on my own stuff right now but I took a look at the demo
> for the first time - GREAT!!

Glad you like it. :)

> Some personal comments (and I appreciate most of these can be changed in
> CSS):
>
> - Default font looks horid on my machine (netscape on gnome) -
> personally I much prefer the current default

Someone else reported the same problem with Mandrake.  I think it's
going to be an issue with all Linux users (unless you specifically
"deuglify" your fonts (see tldp.org).  I've taken your suggestion and
gone back to a sans-serif.

> - too much white space between text items (of all types)

Not absolutely sure what you mean here, but I've decreased the
line-height, which should make the lines of body text closer together.

> - how would you recomend two layer tabs should be displayed?

To be honest, I didn't really follow that thread.  Are there any
examples so I can see how others are handling it?  I will try to go back
and read what I can.

> - tabs give no visual feedback when you mouseover them like other links do

I added a subtle color change, but perhaps it is too subtle?  White is
too bright and orange clashes... any other color ideas?  Making it bold
makes the tabs move over a bit, which I think looks bad.

> - some external links are missing the external link graphic (not sure if
> this happens in current skin) - see "powerful" section for examples,
> e.g. Apache Batik is missing graphic, but Cocoon Sitemap has it

It looks like it's this if-statement in common/document2html.xsl:

<xsl:when test="not($disable-external-link-image='true') and
contains(@href, ':') and not(contains(@href, $config/group-url)) and
not(contains(@href, $config/project-url))">

Note that all of the links that are missing the graphic are at
http://xml.apache.org.  Perhaps we should reconsider the part about
group-url.

> - not 4.01 compliant (Line 2, column 15:  there is no attribute "XML

Fixed.  I haven't tried it with the XHTML transformer yet, but any XHTML
validation problems can be easily fixed if/when Forrest converts to
XHTML output.

--
Marshall Roch