forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <marsh...@exclupen.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] add DTDs to Apache website
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:01:11 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I'm implying that many people in this list wouldn't know how to setup a
> mod_rewrite rule on top of their head, for example. And I'm implying
> that this is hurting this project and it's time to change that since,
> apparently, won't be changed by the httpd people as I expected it would
> have been.

One of the big selling points of Forrest is that it is not tied to a
specific webserver:

- Based on Java, Forrest is platform-independent, making for a
documentation system that is just as portable as the XML data it
processes.  (Forrest homepage)

Although this is an Apache project, that does not mean that we should
tie it to HTTPd just because it too is an Apache project.  As the rest
of this thread shows (you did read it before starting to bitch about
lack of HTTPd integration,  didn't you?), there are other avenues to
explore in order to solve this problem.

--
Marshall Roch